Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Course is over the Cause must go on (REVISED)

Spring semester of 2012 in LagCC is coming to an end and ENG101 class is nearly finished. During the semester we explored, in class, the secrets of industrial animal farming. We learned how the meat is being processed in the United States and analyzed the effects of that system on the animals, workers, community, and ultimately the earth. We talked about how animal farming has developed from the traditional farms, using natural agriculture techniques such as free grazing and animal husbandry, to the industrial scale farms, using unorthodox ways of raising and treating animals. New techniques are now being used such us spraying animals with hormones and proteins for making them grow faster and confining more and more animals into one place in order to produce more meat. In addition to that he animals' excessive amount of decomposing manure is accelerating the global warming effect. Unnatural food, extreme living conditions and new slaughtering techniques have made meat processing a dangerous but powerful industry in the United States. Also we saw scientific proof that salt, sugar and fat are causing to the brain addictiveness similar to marijuana and cocaine. Human race has made a step further using advanced 21st century into agriculture. I think that step just crossed the line.
At the beginning of the class before going deep into analyzing the effects of industrial food system I was very skeptical if this was something “right or wrong”. I was convinced that industrial farming was something good that provides poor people with cheap meat. I only came recently to the States and didn’t knew much about industrial farming so I was interested to explore that issue. Throughout the course my point of view has completely changed, especially after watching a movie of people that died from E-coli because they ate a burger at a fast food restaurant. Now I know that industrial food is really dangerous. I have never walked into a fast food restaurant since that day. To be honest I have lost several pounds because I am afraid to eat meat anymore. Every time I eat chicken, drink milk, eat an egg I thing how it got there and I want to throw up. I even thought to turn into a vegetarian, but unfortunately I love meat too much. The only thing I can do is be more careful in my selections. I can’t wait to go back home and finally eat some real food. I am going to eat so much that I will not be able to move! My hope though is that all people who live in America wake up and stop buying such products. Start buying organic! This is the only way to bring the system down. I am afraid that moment is far away but I am sure it will come one day. Until then I wish you all to live well.

No comments:

Post a Comment